Thursday, September 14, 2006

(A Buzzing Imitation of Human Speech)

I have gotten to the point to where I can comfortably listen to TTS audio and get enjoyment from hearing a story in this manner. But I do understand that it is not for all people. Thus I found this to be a great headline for today's story, THE WHISPERER IN DARKNESS by H. P. Lovecraft.

This is one of my favorite Lovecraft tales. It has all of the hooks that you expect in his storytelling; Isolation, remoteness, fear of the unknown, hidden alien forces whose history is intertwined with Earth's own history going back to prehistoric times, paranoia, the pantheon of Cthulhu, a library of blasphemous books and the quick, down and dirty shock ending. The horror is clearly born from science fiction and not the occult, which to me is where most of Lovecraft's writing is at its greatest power.

So here we go,
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN to THE WHISPERER IN DARKNESS
(right click and "save target as" to download)


No comments: